Friday, March 16, 2012

Syllables, St. Patty's and a Freebie

Happy Friday! It's been awhile, so let's catch up! Here's what we were up to this week...

We have been doing a bit of syllable work. Identifying words with 1 syllable... SO HARD for my kiddos! So we played a scoot game to practice syllable counting. When I moved into my classroom last year I was lucky enough to find these digraph and blend tubs from Lakeshore!

a $70 value... FREE for me! Super Score!
They have come in VERY handy and they worked perfectly for this game too! I placed a number and a "toy" on each desk. Then the kiddos rotated around the room counting out the syllables for each item and recording it down.


 I have to admit having them all counting out different words at the same time was loud, but SO great to see! After each child brought the toy from their desk and counted out the syllables in front of the class and we checked our recordings together! We just used a plain sheet of paper that day, but I created this one to use for the next time we play... you can get it HERE.

In St. Patty's day news... well, a whole lot didn't go on...  Since we didn't have school today, I had to squeeze what I could in on Thursday, amidst specials and a second grade musical performance, there just wasn't a whole lot of time. But, thanks to some great bloggers out there I was able to borrow some fun ideas like...

this worksheet from Michelle over at Fabulous in First that went with a Scholastic easy reader
and...

this add and cover game from Nicole over at Mrs Ricca's Kindergarten (P.S. if you want to stock up on March goodies for next year go to her blog NOW she has a ton of March themed goodies for free!)

Alright on to the free stuff! I have been gearing up for April's math activities so here are a couple of freebies I hope you can use them. Just click the pics to download and leave some love :)



I was lucky enough to have the day off today as I roll into my spring break, so I have been catching up on some work... let's be honest... blog stalking and TV... thank you DVR (ha ha)!

Hope you all have a good one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I stopped by to award you with the Lovely Blog Award! Come stop by and check it out!

Ashley

http://firstgradesmartcookies.blogspot.coom

vicky1970 said...

Thank you for sharing your freebie...we are doing coins right now. This is great! :o)
Vicky
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

luckeyfrog said...

Thank you! I just pinned your freebies and started following your blog. Congrats on 200 followers!

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

Heather's Heart said...

Thank you for the great *freebies*!

You are such a sweetie! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart