Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Just a bit of Money...

Well, I'm back to school this week (good-bye spring break) but honestly I was happy to get back and get going! We are about to dive into our big Zoo unit, which coincidentally purposely coincides with open house in a few weeks (pics to come)... And we get to start money!! Yea! My kiddos are pretty good with base 10s and tallys, so hopefully this whole money thing will be a breeze (fingers crossed!).

We started yesterday with a money intro. We've been doing coins in board math for weeks, but this was a little more in depth.

We did our poem...Click the pic to download :)


We created a chart that compared the coins...


Those gray blobs are coin rubbings. I couldn't believe how many of my kids had NEVER done a rubbing! They were in awe!

And then we made this flip book! I am LOVE with this, as are the kids. They were really excited to practice/quiz with their friends... so cute :)



 You can get the chart HERE and the flip book HERE! I hope you can use them.

And, on an organizational note I saw this idea on a blog last week, can't remember who's... but, seriously! What a great way to store money! I just had to do it too! So, I grabbed the play money (from our math program) and mini tubs from the Dollar Tree and put it together...Love it!

and... a Food Network magazine (the chocolate one from last month.. TO DIE FOR!!)
Have a great night!

5 comments:

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I love that money flip book! Great idea!!
I store my money and other manipulatives in that way too, it works so well to have individual sets!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron said...

I love the flip book!
And I'm so bummed that my food network magazine sub ran out - I missed a good one it seems!

Delighted said...

Definitely going to do the flip-book. I never thought about doing the money rubbing ~ that's on my agenda too! Thank you for sharing.


First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Miss Squirrels said...

Love the flip book- Loved the Chocolate issue....I think I gained 10 lbs reading it!
(I am your newest follower)
Staci

Going Nutty!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com

Heather's Heart said...

I love the flip book! I need to see if I can find some of the mini tubs from the Dollar Tree...I am sure I'll come home with LOTS more! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart