Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hello Turkeys!

This week was turkey week!

We started off by reading about turkeys. Can I just say is tough to find grade level appropriate non-fiction book about turkeys. I have fiction stories up the wazoo (I especially love Turkey Surprise which sneaks in a few turkey facts) but zero non-fiction. So the hunt was on. Three bookstores and a libraries later, I still had no books, and then I stumbled onto kidzone.ws.It was full of great info that I put into a little book to read to my kids complete with pictures! If you are in need click the pic below!


Then we put all of our turkey facts into a circle map. I have been easing them into expository writing the past few weeks, so this was their first stab at writing from the circle map alone.
 


And today we finished up turkeys with a turkey of course! 








The glue was still drying as I left school today, so they will make their way onto the windows Monday morning!If you are interested in the turkey pattern, comment and I'll post it!


Enjoy your long weekend... I know I will!

Update: Here is the Turkey Pattern! Enjoy!

12 comments:

jarrodanddevinmoore said...

Love this turkey pattern! I also love the way you pulled in nonfiction about turkeys. It's true, I have lots of fiction but it's hard to find nonfiction on a first grade level! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to have the turkey pattern if you don't mind posting it! Thanks!

Surfing into First Grade said...

I also love this turkey pattern and would love a copy of it. I am actually on a hunt for a turkey writing project and this one is perfect! I also enjoyed the website you recommended above! Please post the pattern if you don't mind :)

Delighted said...

Love this turkey pattern. I have sent several today that adorable. Hmmm... which one should I do next week??? Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Mrs. Hodson said...

Glad you all like our turkey! The pattern has been posted!

Lindsey Rattray said...

Love the turkey pattern. Can you please send it to me? Lindseyrattray@gmail.com

learningmyself said...

I would love the pattern as well. I looked to see where u posted it, but couldn't find it! thanks for your informational book! My kids will love it!

Amy :) jajc4@comcast.net

PreK Teach said...

I would also love this pattern. My pre-k kiddos will have fun doing this project with their sixth grade buddies.

Margie
mbrewengreen@gmail.com

Jana said...

I love this! I would love the pattern as well. jana.d.atkinson@gmail.com
Thank you!

Sweet P's Boutique said...

I would love the pattern too!!! mdredmon1@hotmail.com

mmagliocca said...

Need this pattern! Great craftivity!!!! Mtogaila@gasd.org

Lil said...

I've spent almost 30 years teaching firsties and have never seen this cute turkey pattern before. What I like most about it is it won't take a bottle of glue and all afternoon for the kids to complete lol. I'd really appreciate it if you'd post the pattern. Thank you for sharing this great idea.

Mrs. Hodson said...

So glad you all like the craft as much as I do! You can find the pattern here:

http://todayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/11/lets-make-turkey-pattern-freebie.html

Enjoy!