Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Quilt

We made it to the weekend... yea!

One of my favorite things we do each month is our literature quilt. My intention is to do this every month beginning when school starts, but we never seem to get a handle on it till October.. you know how that goes. So needless to say, we completed our first quilt on Friday.

I choose Spookley the Square Pumpkin as our October book (about a pumpkin different from the rest that will end up saving the day... great for touching on problem solving, hard work, diversity, and rhyming...seriously a cute story... check it out). We responded by answering the question: How would you stop the pumpkins from rolling out of the patch?

I was really surprised by some of their great answers! Catching it with a net, building a wall, asking people for help, mend the fence...those smart firsties  :)

And I can't do anything without a corresponding art project, so that's where the quilt comes in. A tissue paper and starch pumpkin with a pipe cleaner vine. The kids had so much fun with this! I love doing art mediums they have never done before.
"I will make a wall. The wall will be strong."



And our finished bulletin board...
crooked... grrr
Do you make a classroom quilt? Try it out if you don't... it is a great change of pace from the everyday reading program and a fun filled art project to go along! Happy October!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Okay maybe I am the slowest teacher in the world....but how do you to the tissue paper and starch pumpkin? I think it looks awesome and would love to do with my kiddos!

Laurie